Lydia is a wealthy business woman who becomes the first convert to Christianity in Europe. She responds to the gospel preached by Paul in Philippi and immediately responds with obedience, hospitality, and generosity. She opens her home to Paul and his team and provides a space for the new church to meet.
Series: She Speaks… Lydia
Acts 16:11-15 & 40
I Peter 4:9
* Lydia was a wealthy business owner who responded to the gospel preached by Paul in Philippi.
* Lydia was the first person to respond to the gospel on Paul’s second missionary journey and she was the first convert in Europe.
* After receiving the gospel, she responds with obedience, hospitality, and generosity.
* Her home becomes the starting place for the church in Philippi.
1. What was most interesting or encouraging to you about the sermon this week?
2. What was most challenging to you about the sermon this week?
3. Read Acts 16:11-15. Verse 14 says that Lydia was a “worshiper of God” and that “The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.” What do you think it means that God opened her heart? What does it look like for us to have an open heart to the things of God?
4. If we’re honest, most of us probably know someone like Lydia… someone who seems to be a good person, but they just haven’t heard or believed the gospel yet. How can you begin spiritual conversations with them? How can you begin to share the gospel with them?
5. The action step this week is to practice hospitality - think of a specific or tangible way to show hospitality to someone. As a group discuss some specific or tangible ways to practice hospitality toward others, particularly outsiders.