Jesus calls the church in Sardis a "dead church." They are sort of going through the motions of religious activity, but they don't have any real faith and therefore no real life. This raises the question for us... how does this happen? How does a church go from life to death? It doesn't happen overnight. So, what are the things we need to watch out for so that we can avoid becoming like the church in Sardis?
This Week's Action Step:
Who are you making room for? Commit to regularly pray for, and look for opportunities to invite, the person(s) you wrote on your notecard.
Small Group Questions:
“Dear Church” - (part VI) - The church in Sardis
1. In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a dead or dying church? In other words, how do you recognize if a church is dead or dying... because apparently the church in Sardis was unaware they were dead?
2. In your opinion what are the characteristics of a church that’s alive? What do you look for in a healthy church?
3. In Rev. 3:2 Jesus says to the church in Sardis, “I have not found your works complete.” What do you think he means by that? How might this apply to churches today? What kinds of “works” might Jesus find incomplete?
4. Change is necessary in a healthy organization. Are you someone that has a hard time with change? Why is change often so hard for people to accept both personally and/or corporately?
5. Remembering moments of positive change can help us be more willing to accept moments of future change. With that in mind, can you think of a change that was hard for you to accept, either personally or corporately, but in hindsight it turned out to be a really good thing?
6. How can we avoid becoming consumers in a church rather than contributors? What steps can/do you personally take to avoid simply becoming a church consumer?
Songs from Today
This Is Amazing Grace by Josh Farro, Jeremy Riddle, and Phil Wickham
Heroes by Amanda Cook, Jason Ingram, and Paul Mabury
10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord) by Jonas Myrin and Matt Redman
It Is Well by Horatio Gates Spafford, Kristene DiMarco, and Philip Paul Bliss
Give Me Faith by Mack Brock, Chris Brown, London Gatch, and Wade Joye