Humility and service are at the very core of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. You'll never completely be the person Jesus wants you to be without being humble. Humility that leads to service was the WAY of Jesus. It's what he taught, what he demonstrated, It's who he was. That's why service is such an important part of being a faithful disciple.
This Week's Action Step:
Go out of your way this week to humbly serve someone in an unexpected way.
Small Group Questions:
- 1. Can you think of a time when someone went out of their way to humbly serve you in a completely unexpected way? What did they do for you and how did you respond?
2. Have you ever gone out of your way to humbly serve someone else in a completely unexpected way? What did you do for them and how did they respond?
3. One of my points this week was that we don’t serve God because he’s needy, but that serving allows us to participate in what God is already doing. Can you recall a time when you truly felt like God used you (or allowed you to participate) in something bigger that He was doing in someone’s life? Why do you think God does that? Why does He choose to use us? Wouldn’t it be more efficient if He just did it without us?
4. Another point this week was that serving is an indicator that we’re becoming more like Jesus… who we should be following. So, if that’s true, what does the opposite tell us? If there’s not a regular habit or pattern of serving in our lives, what might that be an indication of?
5. My final point this week was that serving is part of our sanctification (spiritual growth). How so? How does regular patterns or habits of service help us grow spiritually? Maybe you can even give an example from your own life.